There’s nothing worse than showing up for an Interview empty handed. Every smart candidate knows the importance of researching the company before appearing for the hiring process. It’s the age of Internet, which is full of online resources about anything you want. So obviously it is expected from you to have some knowledge about the company you are applying for. Moreover there are several advantages of doing this research.
What are they? Let’s find out..
|Image courtesy : freedigitalphotos.net|
The benefits of this research are:
- The most important thing is that you can decide whether you really want to join the company.
- You come to know about the skills and qualifications, the company is looking for. So you can prepare yourself for the position.
- When given an opportunity, you can demonstrate these skills. Suppose they are looking for a candidate to work in the field of java. If you prove them your expertise in the language, or maybe show them your certifications, you are certainly going to have an edge over others.
- Sometimes this question is asked directly: “What do you know about this organisation?” Having researched well, you can give a good answer.
- It will also help you in answering the “Tell me about yourself” question, that we have already described in this article.
- You sound really confident in the interview if you have the proper knowledge and understanding about the company.
- A good knowledge and information about the company also conveys your desire to be a part of the company. Nobody likes to hire a person who shows no interest in the company.
What should I know about the company?
Okay, now you are ready to do the research, so your next question is “What are the things that I need to know?” Well, these are the things that you should be knowing about the company:
- When was the company established?
- Area of operation of the company, i.e. the products or services that it offers.
- No. of employees in the company.
- The work culture and office environment.
- The major customers of the company.
- It’s competitors in the market.
- About the goals (both long-term and short-term).
- About the HR dept. and the learning or training facilities provided.
- Firing rate of the company.
- Reputation of the company in market.
- The locations of headquarters and other branches.
- Also find out whether an experience with the company count and be useful for your career in the long run.
- Chances of your growth as an employee.
- Are the employees in the company satisfied with their job?
How can I Research the company?
Now that you understand the importance of researching the company and the things you need to know about it. But again the question that strikes your mind is “How to do the research?” Well there are several ways of gathering information about any company on the internet. Here we have mentioned a few of them.
- Company’s website
- Company’s blog
- Press releases
- Social Networks: Facebook, Twitter etc.
We believe that after reading this article, you fully understand why and how, you should research the company.
So what are you waiting for? Just go and do it!
If you like this article, Share it on facebook or twitter. Just use the buttons below: